Upplagda PB:n: Länk här
    Placering i ligan: Länk här

Reg.datum
    Oct 2012
    Gilla
    Gillad 0 gånger i 0 inlägg

Crescent Virgo V23

Hi all,

first... sorry my svensk språk är så dålig att jag användar engliska... i'm from Finland.

I have just bought, about month ago, Crescent Virgo V23 boat and build it for trolling. Boat was brand new but model 2006. It has been all these years in boat store's storage. So, as you can guess... the price was reasonable... It is little strange model for finnish people, honestly saying i haven't seen another here.

My boat is powered with Suzuki 2009 model 90 hp engine and that was my biggest question when i started this building project, is it enought for Virgo's deep V-bottom? But it was big surprise when i tested it first time it took 52 km/h@6050 rpm even at 3 person load.

But actual question belongs to trim tabs. Or should i say other way: should i need them? Are they useful in Virgo? So far i have drived with Virgo i haven't missed them... But what is your suggest? And of cause there are lot of guys with Crescent Salmon boats that uses same bottom.

Thanks

//Timo

Sponsrad av: Banken
    Fotoalbum: Länk här

Rekord: snart

Exxets avatar
    Reg.datum
    Mar 2010
    Ålder
    Gilla
    Gillad 1 074 gånger i 508 inlägg

Hi Virgo !

First i have to say that i hope you will understand my poor english.
    I'm not familiar with this very boat but still a little surprised about your issue.

Why do you think the 90 hp engine will be to small on that boat? 52 km/h is equal to 28 knots and you achieve that at 6050 rpm which indicate that you have to low propeller pitch , i'm not certain about your engine but the most engines will run between 5200 and 5600/5800 rpm. so 6050 seems to be to much. And i guess you will end up with about 32/34 knot with one or two inch bigger proppeller pitch. I have the same Hp engine on a similar boat and i have 32/33 knot as my top speed and the boat run perfect even with 5-6 persons onboard.

Trimtabs is only necessary if you have problems to come up in planing position. or if you often run in side wind and want to adjust your sideway angle. To adjust the long ship angle or call it pitch attitude while running its better to use the engine trim function if you have such. According to my opinon only reason to have trim tabs is if your boat is very heavy at the stern and you cant achieve the wanted long ship angle with help of the engine.

Of course due to your requirements the trim tabs is useful in every boat but from my point of view its not anything you need if you dont have big problems to adjust your boat angle at planing speed or big problem to go from low to high speed.
    Det finns två ting som är oändliga - universum och människans dumhet, Men när det gäller universum är jag inte helt säker. [Albert Einstein]

Reg.datum
    Oct 2012
    Gilla
    Gillad 0 gånger i 0 inlägg

Thanks for your reply Exxet, you don't have no reason to say your english is poor, not at all.

I know to suggest Hp for Virgo is 80-135 and cause the 90 Hp is on low limit, deep V needs more power, big full fuel tank and heavy loaded boat, they all get me thought 90 hp might be too little... But i was posite surpised how easily boat "jumped" to plan, without lifting up nose. I think bottom is in big role in this. And what becomes to driving at waves bottom feels also good in that case.

Suzuki DF 90's full throtle 5500-6300 rpm, so the propeller suit quite good for that range, even at 3 person load. But perhaps i try it someday one inch bigger prop.

My earlier boat was Drago Sunday 540 Fishing, good boat what becomes space usage and cabin size, but i felt the bottom was the weakest point in this construction. It was really hard to drive at waves and trim tabs were "must" in that boat. With trim tabs you may turn boats nose down to split waves and make driving little more smoothly

But i hope someone with similar bottom (Virgo, Salmon etc.) tells is there usage for trim tabs? Side wind won't turn the boat badly (because it's not very high?), but perhaps i could use trim tabs as in Drago?

btw. do new models have already factory installed rear windows at back? I had to install them myself to quarantee visibility to the downrigger rods.

Sponsrad av: Banken

Rekord: snart

Exxets avatar
    Reg.datum
    Mar 2010
    Ålder
    Gilla
    Gillad 1 074 gånger i 508 inlägg

Ok. it's a 4 stroke engine i guess. Well thats another story then. Rpm is in the middle of rpm range so no reason to change propeller pitch.

As i said i dont have any experience of this very boat but from a lot of other boats, from 3 to 7 m and from 10 to 50 knot. Trim tabs is something ju need only when you have some kind of a problem. You kan compare them with the extra support wheels young children have on there first bike. If you have the center of gravity correct situated in the boat then the engine trim would be enough to adjust the boat long ship angel in heavy sea and for outher reasons as well.

But i hope you will found the answers you looking for
    Det finns två ting som är oändliga - universum och människans dumhet, Men när det gäller universum är jag inte helt säker. [Albert Einstein]

Liknande ämnen

1. [Blocket] S: Crescent 425
    Av MastaPike i forum Säljes
    Svar: 1
    Senaste inlägg: 2012-09-14, 20:04
  2. Crescent Duo
    Av FISH FOR I i forum Allmänt om båtar
    Svar: 0
    Senaste inlägg: 2010-10-09, 23:34
  3. Crescent 434
    Av LGO i forum Allmänt om båtar
    Svar: 3