How To Coat Your Own Leads - Fiskesnack.com - För oss bakom flötet...

Allmänt meddelande

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Coat Your Own Leads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Klockan
  • Visa
Clear All

• How To Coat Your Own Leads

How To Coat Your Own Leads

Why Coat a fishing lead?
    For those of you who like to make your own fishing tackle, here is a step by step
    guide of how to coat your own fishing leads.
    The main reason for coating the lead is so that it blends in with the lake/river bed
    and can't be seen by the fish.
    Coated camoflaged leads are mainly used by Carp fishermen as just one of many
    tricks devised in the ongoing battle to fool the wary old carp.
    Of course these leads can be used when targeting other species of fish and if the
    fish can't see it then it must me an advantage to the angler. So what have you got to lose?
    Another reason for coating the lead is to prevent sharp edges from forming if
    the lead bounces against rocks or gravel which could damage the line.
    Also due to the coating being tough plastic it won't, chip, crack or peel off the lead unlike some shop bought leads that have only been painted.
    If you were to buy a Coated lead in the shop they usually start from 15 SEK for
    a cheap one, so there is also the advantage of saving you money aswell if you have a habit of losing them.

Equipment needed
    Here is a list of equipment that you will need if you want to coat your leads:
    1. A source of heat (burner or gas/petrol stove will do)
    2. A pair of pliers.
    3. Plastic powder coating in various colours (Colours available are, Black, Brown,
    Green,Mottle, Gravel & Sand)
    It goes without saying that your choice of powder colour should be similar to
    that of the the lake/river bed that you intend to fish.
    Brown & Green are probably the 2 best choices to start with in Sweden.
    4. Leads
    5. Bowl of cold water.
    6. A sharp knife
    7. Swivels, Split Rings & Shrink Tube (Optional)

Step 1.
    Hold the lead by the brass loop with the pliers and slowly heat the lead over the flame continuously turning the lead.
    Be careful not to heat the lead too much as it will melt and drip and splash everywhere burning anything it touches.

Step 2.
    Once it is hot enough dip the lead into the pot of plastic powder ensureing it is completley covered. The powder will stick to the lead and begin to melt. After a couple of seconds remove the lead from the powder.

Step 3.
    Heat the lead again over the flames until it melts and becomes smooth & shiny.
    Again be careful not to heat it too much as it will catch fire if it becomes too hot.

Step 4.
    Once the whole of the lead is smooth & shiny submerge the lead in the cold water ensuring you keep it suspended for a few seconds until it cools and the plastic becomes hard.
    If you drop the lead straight into the water the plastic will not have sufficent time to cool resulting in the plastic being disformed.

Step 5.
    When the lead has cooled down which usually takes a couple of minutes, remove it from the water and trim of any unwanted plastic.
    You should now have a camoflaged lead that makes it just that little bit harder for the fish to see.

Attaching a Swivel

If your lead has just a brass loop you can always attach a swivel if you prefer to as i do.

Step 1.
    Thread the split ring over the brass loop and then thread the swivel to the split ring in the same way. (This is not as easy as it sounds, believe me)

Step 2.
    Then cut a peice of shrink tube long enough to cover the brass loop, split ring and half of the swivel. Then heat the shrink tube with a lighter until it shrinks to size.
    The shrink tube is put on to reduce the possibility of a tangle and keeps it neat & tidy.

Hints & Tips
    1. A small pot of plastic powder will cover a hell of a lot of leads and will last you a long time.
    They can be bought from The Tackle Box in England for £2.75 (about 35:-)
    Here is the link to the page:
    http://www.tacklebox.co.uk/product_i...sldm&Submit=Go
    You can also but lead moulds and all the accessories needed to make your own leads here aswell

2. When the powder is nearly empty sprinkle the remainder of the powder over the hot lead as you will not be able to dip it in the pot.

3. Why not try mixing two different coloured powders together to make a new colour option to choose from.
    I mixed Green & Brown together to make a speckled camo colour.

4. If you really want to be adventurous, you could make your own leads aswell as i have, and save even more money. Plus it's much more fun than buying them.

5. I have worked it out that to make 1 lead & coat it costs less than "1 Kronor" and it certainly doesn't hurt as much when you lose one.

6. An alternative coating to leads are Jigg & Shad Heads for predator fishing.
    They are coated in the same way as leads but with colours visible to the fish.
    They colours i have used are Red, Yellow, Blue & Orange.

Coating leads and Jigg/Shad heads are just a couple of past times of mine.
    Other things i make are Floats (Pike Floats, Marker Floats, course fishing floats), Carp Rigs, Pike Traces, Lures, Spod Rockets, Throwing Sticks, 'D' Rig Hooks, Boilies, Rig Bins & Flies amongst others.

..........And last but not least, if you do decided to make/coat leads be careful because moleten plastic & lead burn like hell if you get it on your skin.
    Believe me, this is a voice of experience with scars to prove it.

Tight Lines

Chris Thornhill
    www.screamingdelkims.se
    chris@screamingdelkims.se
    Senast ändrad av Carpoholic; 2004-12-15, 21:47.
    It's Better to have it & not need it, than need it and not have it!

God has DELKIMS & a 42" Landing Net!

www.screamingdelkims.com

Excalibur Leads

It looks really fun to make it buy your self,iknow it's not so easy as it looks.I hope you will teach me that to??..Good handguide by the way....

Kommentera

good work interesting reading!!

Kommentera

Thanks for charing your entusiasm and knowledge Chris! Respect !!

Kommentera

Alltid skoj att se entusiaster i arbete!!

Btw, jag såg någon firma som sålde stenar, med lekane som sänken.
          Plus att det finns sänken som inte är päron utan har en mer udda form.

Fast kanske det skulle vara en tanke att täcka med tunnt med expoxy och sedan 'sanda' dem så att de får samma textur som bottnen. (Om det nu är sand där)

Det finns förståss en sådan produkt ser jag:
          http://www.essexangling.co.uk/acatal...eads__167.html
          Senast ändrad av esobus; 2004-12-17, 11:41.

Kommentera

Much appreciated guys................................ well its something different isnt it??

www.screamingdelkims.com

Excalibur Leads

Kommentera

Ursprungligen postat av Carpgirl
              It looks really fun to make it buy your self,iknow it's not so easy as it looks.I hope you will teach me that to??..Good handguide by the way....
              ........................ and girls, ooooops sorry

www.screamingdelkims.com

Excalibur Leads

Kommentera

Foton

Collapse

Det finns inga resultat som uppfyller dessa kriterier.

Relaterat

Collapse

Ämnen Statistik Senaste inlägg
              Startad av oskarvennberg, 2023-09-20, 17:41
              4 svar
              221 visningar
              0 gillar
              Senaste inlägg nephilim  
              Startad av Sundström76, 2023-11-11, 18:12
              0 svar
              119 visningar
              2 gillar